[Samba] Map between existing UNIX UID's and Windows SID for file sharing.

Andrew Watkins andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Oct 31 21:22:46 GMT 2005

Hello,
I have search this list and the HOW TO's, but can't find the answer!

We have all our users on both Windows (ADS) and Solaris (NIS), but  I
can not configure samba
shares so Windows Users can modify the security settings on there files,
so that other people can look/edit
there files....

If I don't fix this problem soon we will end up with a Windows
file-server as well as a UNIX one.
The web pages talk about mapping UID to SID, but it seems to used when
you don't have one lot of
users on one of the systems, but we have all users on both systems. We
have no problems with users
accesses there files (samba shares) from Windows PC.

Can some one tell me (a How TO will be perfect) how I can set up samba
so that Windows users
can edit the security setting of the samba files. The easies option
would be best at this time, unless
it is not possible!
# cat  smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = DCSNT            # Windows ADS "domain name"
        locking = yes
        password level = 10
        domain master = no
        local master = no
        os level = 80
        wins support = no
        wins server = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX   ##Windows ADS
        password server = hades eros               ##Windows Hosts
        security = domain
        encrypt passwords = yes
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes