[Samba] Strange sorting issue with samba 2.2

Robert Krauss rkrauss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:28:37 GMT 2005

Hi,
I am using a Samba 2.2.7 Server installed on a box with embedded linux
(NSLU2 from Linksys). After I copied lots of files to the box I
discovered that samba does the sorting wrong.

When I nomally open a samba share (sorted alphabetically) on my xp pc I get:

A-Dir <-- (Directory)
B-Dir <-- (Directory)
F-Dir <-- (Directory)
G-Dir <-- (Directory)
A-File.ext <-- (File)
B-File.ext <-- (File)
C-File.ext <-- (File)
D-File.ext <-- (File)

But on this box the sorting is:
A-Dir <-- (Directory)
A-File.ext <-- (File)
B-Dir <-- (Directory)
B-File.ext <-- (File)
C-File.ext <-- (File)
D-File.ext <-- (File)
F-Dir <-- (Directory)
G-Dir <-- (Directory)

And I cannot change this sorting. The error occures on three differnt
xp pc's, and a w2003 server. On a old NT4 Server the error occures NOT
and the sorting is on.

When I try the same with a samba 3, running on a debian installation
the sorting is ok on all pc's.

What can I do?

Regards
Robert