[Samba] When trying to Samba (SMBD) it says "not found"

Matthew Easton v-vi at trugschluss.org
Thu Oct 27 04:22:30 GMT 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 4:32 PM, Edouard Ades wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I tried to start the samba service (Smbd) but it tells me "Not
> found" no error number or permission denied.
> There was no update made on the box.  I logged on as root
> I went to good directory, usr/local/samba/sbin/
> and typed     smbd   and I got
>
> ksh:  smbd : Not found
>
> If I enter LS under the sbin directory, the smbd is there.
> Also, if I enter LS -e le (to see the executable) it returns me  smbd
>
> I even made a search by entering                find / -name smbd
> 2> /dev/null
> and when the result came up it showed me the good path which is usr/
> local/samba/sbin/

and presumably the command "which smbd" also returns /usr/local/samba/
sbin/

Try typing "/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd" (no quotes when you type it)
from your home directory, or if you go to /usr/local/samba.sbin/ then
try "./smbd" (again, no quotes).  The dot-slash means, essentially,
"right here, in this directory"

I suppose you can have smbd failing to start if you have a bad
configuration file, or incorrect permission, although in my
experience samba comes with a default that at least launches.

Ultimately you'll want an init file that launches samba when you boot
up.  Something in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d  (depends on what your
operating system is.)