[Samba] Samba Share of NFS filesystem

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Oct 26 14:28:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 03:02:23PM +0200, Ulrich Bernhard wrote:
> On a local disk with quota the 'over quota' error occured while writing
> to that disk and the windows box reports the error as 'disk is full'.
> A local copy on the linux server to a local filesystem with quota (/data
> is on that filesystem):
> cp /tmp/large-file /data
> cp: writing `/data/large-file': Disk quota exceeded
>
> Writing on the linux server to the nfs filesystem the 'over quota' error
> occured whis the close (the /home/rzubu directory is on the nfs filesystem):
> cp /tmp/large-file /home/rzubu
> cp: closing `/home/rzubu/large-file': Disk quota exceeded
>
> Sorry I do not have other nfs mounted filesystems with quota.

NFS is allowed to return a "disk full" error on close - the trouble
is that Windows clients won't recognise it. You could try setting
"strict allocate = yes" to change when the writes occur from the
client NFS redirector - but this is going to be horribly slow.

The best thing to do with quota-enabled filesystems is to host
them on the Samba box I'm afraid.

Jeremy.