AW: AW: AW: [Samba] Migration to Samba using external LDAPserver(CLARIFICATION NEEDED)

Matthew Easton v-vi at trugschluss.org
Wed Oct 26 02:11:06 GMT 2005

As Eric Hall points out (and I hope he CC'ed you, as well.) The tools
he linked to will preserve the userid and permissions.  If userid
(the number) already maps to the same user (the name) on both
systems, or if samba's mapping is properly configured, then the
preserved userid and permissions will refer to the user you wish.
Unfortunately I don't have a good understanding of all the ways you
can map a user within samba --- though you may wish to find out about
the /etc/samba/smbusers file.

But as I said in my earlier post, you can also use samba directives
and unix modes to force the contents of an enclosing directory to be
owned by a particular user or group, irrespective of the user who
copies the files to the directory.  This could be useful, for
example, if you are concerned that users may no longer own the
contents of their own home directories after the migration, if the
mappings are too complicated to set up in advance.

So you create home directories that force any new files to be owned
by the user.  Then you move their files into the home directories and
it just works

"set user id" (suid) and "set group id" (sgid) do this on the unix side:

Here, I'll demonstrate how sgid works:
# First I make a directory
[root at server root]# mkdir testdir

# See the default permissions
[root at server root]# ls -ld testdir
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Oct 25 18:19 testdir

# and if I make a file in the directory, these are the permissions
[root at server root]# touch testdir/myfile
[root at server root]# ls -l testdir
total 0
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 18:20 myfile

# I change the group of the enclosing directory
[root at server root]# chgrp smbuser testdir
[root at server root]# ls -ld testdir
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     smbuser      4096 Oct 25 18:20 testdir

# But that has no effect on the group of new files, nor does it
change old files (have to use chgrp -R for that)
[root at server root]# touch testdir/testfile2
[root at server root]# ls -l testdir
total 0
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 18:20 myfile
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 18:21 testfile2

# Therefor I set the group id (SGID) on the directory
[root at server root]# chmod g+s testdir
[root at server root]# ls -ld testdir
drwxr-sr-x    2 root     smbuser      4096 Oct 25 18:21 testdir

# Now when I make a new file, its group is the same as the directory
-- even though I am not a member of the group

[root at server root]# touch testdir/testfile3
[root at server root]# ls -l testdir
total 0
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 18:20 myfile
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 18:21 testfile2
-rw-r--r--    1 root     smbuser         0 Oct 25 18:22 testfile3

# a similar command exists that will set the user id of a directory
     chmod u+s $directory

SO TO APPLY THIS TO YOUR SITUATION:
Imagine samba user home directories are in /home/users
You create all your users on the unix side and that creates home
directories
-- the home directories are owned by the respective users
-- you cd into /home/users and run the following command
         chmod u+s *
-- that makes each home directory set the user id of new files added
to it to the owner of the directory.

Now if you (as root) copy Joe's files from the old server into his
new home directory, all the files will owned by the new user joe--
not by you.  Even if you do it without properly mapping the usernames.

Similarly, if you have a share for the finance group, you can change
the group of the folder to finance, then do chmod g+s on the folder,
and now all new files added to it will have the group finance.

To take this farther.  There is a samba directive called, I believe,
"admin users"

[FINANCE_DIRECTORY]
     admin users = @finance

means that all members of the finance group will have full read/write/
delete privileges on files in the share called FINANCE_DIRECTORY.

( but don't take my word for it, I'm trying to write this from memory
--- look up the directives and understand them for your particular
situation )