[Samba] Advices for Samba and OpenLDAP

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Oct 21 13:25:42 GMT 2005

Michael Gasch schrieb:
>> We are running almost 30 OpenLDAP (2.2.20 nd 2.2.24) servers (masters,
>> slaves).
>> No weird behaviour so far (we didn't torture it though).
>
> want to have my script :) ?

sure, I could test it on a separate test server.
publish it somewhere on the web, so that all human kind could kill their
OpenLDAp servers :)

>> We are running a ldbm backend (so it doesn't need a DB_CONFIG file).
>
> we had trouble with ldbm - it didn't crash but some entries simply were
> missing after some minutes of running slapd, samba couldn't find some
> users/groups although they were in the database, ldapsearch -x
> uid=someuser sometimes returns "dn: uid=someuser" and sometimes not and
> so on. may be it was a caching/indexing issue?

weird.
IMHO, the behaviour should be proper in each case and not depend on the
backend used.

>> In your case I'd upgrade to a newest 2.2.x version, and if the problem
>> still happens, ask at OpenLDAP mailing lists, as it's a problem with
>> OpenLDAP really, not with Samba.
>
> i know and already did that. but this list is good visited so i saw a
> chance to find someone with the same problems or more experience

and still the same issues after an upgrade?
maybe it's something with *bdb* libraries, headers etc., on which
OpenLDAP depends?

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org