[Samba] SambaBDC cannot join SambaPDC

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Oct 20 01:31:51 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 20:05 -0500, Philip Washington wrote:
> I have set up a Samba PDC migrating from NT4.  I can logon computers and
> users that came from the old NT4 domain.  I began setting up a SambaBDC
> following the directions in Section 5.5 of Samba3 by Example.  Using
> samba3.0.20b on RHEL4
>
> whenever try
> # net rpc join -U root%secret
> or
> # net rpc join -S SAMBAPDC -U root%secret
> I get the following error
> [2005/10/19 19:08:26, 0] rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:rpc_api_pipe(438)
>   cli_pipe: return critical error. Error was Call timed out: server did
> not respond after 10000 milliseconds
> Creation of workstation account failed
> Unable to join domain DOMAINA.
> #net getlocalsid
> Can't fetch domain SID for name: SAMBABDC
>
> if I turn on the samba server and run smbclient //SAMBABDC/accounts -Uuser1
> I can login and put a file in the share.  When I look at the properties
> of the file  I see that it is owned by user1 and the group is "Domain
> Users".  So it appears that samba is using the ldap server correctly.
> #getent passwd
> #getent group
> appear to be returning the correct information when I compare it to the
> directions.
>
> What and where else should I be looking for a problem?
----
not enough info to do much more than guess but I did something stupid
that took me a few minutes to figure out.

I had a hosts allow = 192.168.1. statement and then when I tried to have
a user connect from a VPN, connections to the samba server would time
out because the remote host ip wasn't in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet

It might be something that simple

Craig

believed to be clean.