[Samba] SambaBDC cannot join SambaPDC

Philip Washington phwashington at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 01:05:44 GMT 2005

I have set up a Samba PDC migrating from NT4.  I can logon computers and
users that came from the old NT4 domain.  I began setting up a SambaBDC
following the directions in Section 5.5 of Samba3 by Example.  Using
samba3.0.20b on RHEL4

whenever try
# net rpc join -U root%secret
or
# net rpc join -S SAMBAPDC -U root%secret
I get the following error
[2005/10/19 19:08:26, 0] rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:rpc_api_pipe(438)
  cli_pipe: return critical error. Error was Call timed out: server did
not respond after 10000 milliseconds
Creation of workstation account failed
Unable to join domain DOMAINA.
#net getlocalsid
Can't fetch domain SID for name: SAMBABDC

if I turn on the samba server and run smbclient //SAMBABDC/accounts -Uuser1
I can login and put a file in the share.  When I look at the properties
of the file  I see that it is owned by user1 and the group is "Domain
Users".  So it appears that samba is using the ldap server correctly.
#getent passwd
#getent group
appear to be returning the correct information when I compare it to the
directions.

What and where else should I be looking for a problem?