[Samba] result was WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

James Watkins misterwatto at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 11:22:15 GMT 2005

I think I'm having a similar problem to you and I've had no reply as yet
(except an out-of-office one) to my post.
I think it's just an authentication problem.  I've got security = domain
and I'm guessing that since the user 'root' is not present in my domain
(and even if it was it wouldn't necessarily have any clout on the samba
print server anyway), logging into the samba server as root doesn't give
you the permissions to do 'setdriver'.  I've tried adding a domain user
(DOMAIN\USER style) into the 'printer admin' option for the Printers
share.  I've tried adding my domain user to a local group (ntadmins) and
adding @ntadmins to the 'printer admin' option.  I've tried using 'net
rpc rights grant...' to give print management rights to my domain user.
  Still no joy.  I've decided to change to 'security = server' in the
hope that I can then get the printers configured as I want them before
changing back to 'security = domain' but I haven't had the time to do
this yet.  I'd like to know if there is a more elegant solution (if
indeed my proposal is a solution) so I'd like to know if you've found
out anything useful.

Cheers,
James.