[Samba] Roaming Profiles & oplocks problems

Rob Mason rob at cissp.org.uk
Sun Oct 16 18:58:02 GMT 2005

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE with Samba 3.0.20 configured as a PDC
serving a small-ish network (10 XP hosts).  My problem concerns roaming
profiles - some XP clients take ages to logon and logoff.  On doing some
Googling I identified the 'profile acls' parameter as being a likely
fix.  However, I seem to have got myself into one of two scenarios:

a) With 'profile acls' switched on my XP clients logon more-or-less
immediately, but fail to save their roaming profile when logging off.
The samba logs show "request_oplock_break: no response received..."

or

b) With 'profile acls' switched off my XP clients take an age to logon
and logoff, but the profiles are saved OK.

I've spent days trying various permitations, but to no avail.  Can
anyone shed any light or ideas for trouble shooting this problem????

My smb.conf is:

[global]
        workgroup = BSDBOX
        netbios name = SERVER
        server string = BSDBox
        interfaces = 192.168.200.254
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=16384
SO_RCVBUF=16384
        hosts allow = 192.168.200., 172.16.200., localhost

        passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd -l %u
        passwd chat = *Password* %n\n *Password* %n\n *Changed*\n
        unix password sync = Yes
        username map = /usr/local/etc/samba/smbusers

        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50

        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups

        logon script = netlogon.cmd
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon drive = Z:
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        remote announce = 172.16.200.255

        admin users = root
        hide unreadable = Yes
        create mask = 0644
        add group script = /usr/local/etc/samba/smbgrpadd.sh "%g"
        delete group script = /usr/local/etc/samba/smbgrpdel.sh "%g"

#       veto oplock files = /*.doc/*.xls/*.mdb/

[profiles]
        path = /home/profiles
        #valid users = %U, administrator
        #force user = %U