[Samba] RPC Server is unavailable

Dwight Tovey dtovey at emergecore.com
Fri Oct 14 15:18:48 GMT 2005

Yesterday I posted that I got my "add machine script" working, only to run
into a new problem:

> However, Windows is still not completely happy.  Now on the first
> attempt to join a domain, while Samba appears to succesfuly create the
> account and populate the sambaSamAccount info, Windows comes back and
> tells me "The RPC server is unavailable".  Again, the second attempt to
> join the domain succeeds.

While digging around, I ran across this page:
http://www.wlug.org.nz/SambaAsPDC

At the bottom of the page it recommends giving the XP box a static IP
address if you run into this "RPC server unavailble" problem.  This fixed
the problem, but is not an acceptable solution for us.

I vaguely remember something about issues with DNS/DHCP/Windows, so now
I'm off to see what info I can dig up there.  If anybody has some pointers
it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: For anybody else doing this type of testing with repeatedly trying to
join a domain, I highly recommend using VMware.  I have both my Samba
server and my XP client installed in "virtual" machines with snapshots
taken at appropriate places.  With this setup I can try various things,
then "reset" to the snapshot to get a pristine machine again.  Sure beats
having to reinstall or figure out what I have to "undo" in the registry.
Plus I can be sure that I didn't miss something in some file that I didn't
know about.

    /dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey
email: dtovey at emergecore.com
---------
Work to Live : Live to Ride : Ride to Work