[Samba] Profiles change when migrating from NT4 to Samba PDC

Philip Washington phwashington at comcast.net
Fri Oct 14 01:35:38 GMT 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 12:47 -0500, Philip Washington wrote:
>

>>Philip Washington wrote:

>>>We had spent 3 days on it and got it to work without the roaming
>>>profiles ( Using Ch 8 from Samba-3 by Example and help here).  It
>>>sounds like we went through some of the same issues with vampire, but
>>>it looked like we had it working with our test system.
>>>We had a test machine MACHINE1 in  NT4 DOMAINA.
>>>We transfered DOMAINA over to a SambaPDC-with LDAP.
>>>Moved MACHINE1 over to the test environment with a SambaPDC-with
>>>LDAP.  Logged in TESTUSER1 everything looked fine, no roaming profile
>>>(we did a jig and jumped for joy ).
>>>We then moved MACHINE2 over to the test environment logged in
>>>TESTUSER1 (we had transfered TESTUSER1 from the original NT4 domain).
>>>We then logged in USER2 which was the primary user for this computer
>>>when it was in the NT4 domain.  That was when we found out that
>>>Outlook treated the user as someone completely different, as well as
>>>other programs on the machine, the desktop was completely changed to
>>>default. After spending another day on it we had to move on, but we
>>>are now willing to try again from scratch.
>>>
>>>Did  we still have something wrong?  Has/does this work with the
>>>latest version?
>>>
>>>Goal 1: is USER1 on MACHINE1 can log into the system and not tell that
>>>something has changed (Namely there is a different PDC platform).
>>>Goal 2: The IT department doesn't have to write a bunch of scripts to
>>>move profile information on each computer.
>>>
>>>Is this possible, because I was of the impression that once we
>>>finished the client MACHINE1 and user USER1 wouldn't know or act any
>>>differently when logging into NT4 as the PDC vs logging into the
>>>transfered DOMAINA on the Samba-LDAP PDC.
>>>

>----
>in all fairness, I have let this go because you didn't answer any of the
>questions that I asked. I'm not sure why anyone else didn't follow up
>but perhaps they were thinking along the same lines that I was.
>
>In light of no reply, you might consider starting over, and rephrasing
>your questions.
>
>In short, I had absolutely no problems with migrating users from NT PDC
>to Samba PDC but I have always used LDAP as backend for the migration
>and roaming profiles.
>
>Craig

Okay, I appear to have it working now.
The first time it didn't work because we were using the old version of
Samba3-by Examples.
The second time it didn't work because we may, may (stressed) have done
something wrong or it may have been because we were using samba-3.0.10.
Today we recompiled from Fedora samba-3.0.20b to a RHEL4 system, because
the new version of Samba3-by Examples is based on this book.   We went
through everything as shown in Chapter 9.  The only difference was
'logon path = ', so we didn't have roaming profiles (And of course our
domain and computer names were different).   So  far we have pulled 3
computers from our original domain and not seen any problems. Users
login and they get there original profile.
The only difference I saw between what was in the directions and what I
actually saw was that when you do the  'getent  passwd' and 'getent
group' the delimiters +::0:: were not there.We pressed on to see what
would happen and so far it appears to be working.
Next is the member servers to see how well they do (We have 2 which are
using winbind).

Hope this helps someone else and I appreciate the help I was given here.