[Samba] Re-Creating Windows Profiles After SAMBA Migration

Irving Carrion icarrion at allinterior.com
Fri Aug 23 05:33:01 GMT 2002

Thanks For Your Response Jay!

Maybe I should clarify what I'm trying to do.  We have never used
roaming profiles nor desire to do so with SAMBA.  When we were on a NT
network all profiles were stored locally.  Now that we replaced the NT
PDC with the SAMBA PDC those local profiles no longer work.  We have to
change domain, then reboot.  Logon as the new user, then copy all
documents from the old profile to the new one.   Reconfigure MS Outlook
then import existing PST's into the new profile.

I think the key is to tell Windows 2000 that this user is not new and to
continue using the old profile.

What do the BIG (500-2000 PC's) companies do to migrate to SAMBA away
from NT?  Are they reconfiguring all 2000 machines?

Any insights would be helpful.

Many Thanks!