[Samba] Editing file changes its owner (Samba 3.0.7).

Przemyslaw Tokarski przemek at zpk.u.lodz.pl
Thu Oct 13 11:42:25 GMT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, John H Terpstra wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 07:31, Przemyslaw Tokarski wrote:
> > Hello !!
> >
> >  When a user edits a file belonging to another user and then saves the
> > file he becomes the owner of that file. Both users belong to the same
> > group and the file can be read or written to by the group members.
> > Server: Red hat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9, Samba 3.0.7, unix extensions
> > enabled
> > Client: Red hat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9, shares mounted via smbfs or cifs
> > (the same behaviour).
> >
> > Is that all normal or did I do something wrong ?
> >
> > I'll appreciate your comments and suggestions.
>
> Does your situation match that described in Section 15.6.3 of the
> Samba3-HOWTO?
>
> You can obtain a PDF of the HOWTO from:
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf
>
> If your case matches this situation the probem you are dealing with is a known
> feature of how Windows Office products function. Please see the work-around
> that has been documented in the HOWTO.

Unfortunately the problem in question occurs under linux as a client.
Shares are mounted via smbfs or cifs (the same behaviour) and files are
edited with vi. When I edit files on a local linux filesystem the owner
is not changed. This "glitch" might propably prevent quotas from
functionning properly. Suggested workaround does not make the ownership
of the file being retained as far as I understand. What do you think
about it ?

Best regards
Przemyslaw Tokarski
Lodz, Poland