[Samba] Editing file changes its owner (Samba 3.0.7).

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Oct 12 13:58:05 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 07:31, Przemyslaw Tokarski wrote:
> Hello !!
>
>  When a user edits a file belonging to another user and then saves the
> file he becomes the owner of that file. Both users belong to the same
> group and the file can be read or written to by the group members.
> Server: Red hat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9, Samba 3.0.7, unix extensions
> enabled
> Client: Red hat 9, kernel 2.4.20-31.9, shares mounted via smbfs or cifs
> (the same behaviour).
>
> Is that all normal or did I do something wrong ?
>
> I'll appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Does your situation match that described in Section 15.6.3 of the
Samba3-HOWTO?

You can obtain a PDF of the HOWTO from:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf

If your case matches this situation the probem you are dealing with is a known
feature of how Windows Office products function. Please see the work-around
that has been documented in the HOWTO.

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.