[Samba] Changing PDC Domain name

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 11 17:50:35 GMT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:51:32AM -0600, Dwight Tovey wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> What are the implications of changing the domain name for a PDC?  If I
> understand correctly, the SID is based on the domain name, so if the
> domain name (workgroup) setting in smb.conf is changed, will that mean
> that a new SID will be generated?  If so, then I assume that all
> user/group SIDs will have to be updated.  If the domain name is changed,
> can I just state that this is an entirely new domain and all
> users/groups/machines will have to be created fresh?

The SID isn't based on the domain name, but all the indexes in the
tdb's are based on the domain name. So if you change it on the PDC
then you could (with effort - ie. I don't think we ship tools to
do this) modify these indexes to use the new domain name. I don't
think Windows clients can do this though - change the domain name
means a new domain for them.

Jeremy.