[Samba] Changing PDC Domain name

Dwight Tovey dtovey at emergecore.com
Tue Oct 11 17:51:32 GMT 2005

Hello all.

What are the implications of changing the domain name for a PDC?  If I
understand correctly, the SID is based on the domain name, so if the
domain name (workgroup) setting in smb.conf is changed, will that mean
that a new SID will be generated?  If so, then I assume that all
user/group SIDs will have to be updated.  If the domain name is changed,
can I just state that this is an entirely new domain and all
users/groups/machines will have to be created fresh?

What we have is a setup that currently only supports simple Workgroups.
We are in the proccess of adding support for NT4 domains (no AD yet) using
Samba 3.0.20a.  The current passdb backend is LDAP, and the Samba schema
is already in place.  Setting up the PDC has been fairly simple so far
(thank you to John Terpstra for the Howto and Examples books), but in
writing the documentation for our users we need to tell them about any
consequences of changing the domain name.

One thing that I noticed while playing with it is that after changing the
'workgroup' setting in smb.conf, a new 'sambaDomainName' object is created
in LDAP with the new name, but the same SID as before.  Does this mean
that the domain name can just be changed without any problems and the SID
is just carried forward?

Apologies if this is covered in the books or the archives.  I've looked
around, but sometimes with a flood of information it's easy to miss the
little specific details that I'm after.

    /dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey
email: dtovey at emergecore.com
---------
Work to Live : Live to Ride : Ride to Work