[Samba] Profiles change when migrating from NT4 to Samba PDC

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Oct 8 01:15:26 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 17:52 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 19:22 -0500, Philip Washington wrote:
> > After migration of an NT4 domain to Samba we find that when users log in
> > they have a new profile.  Since we cannot deal with this on all of the
> > computers with all of the users we have had to stop the migration.
> > I have searched through the archive and not been able to find any
> > answers to this issue,  I did find a relevant article though and
> > apparently they didn't have an answer in 2002.
> > http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2002-August/050163.html
> > Has anyone found a way to resolve this?
> > We are not using roaming profiles.
> ----
> I am hoping that you really aren't looking for wild speculation as to
> what may be the problem. Some things that you should consider sharing
> with us so that we might be able to make a useful suggestion...
>
> samba version ?
>
> SID ? 'net getlocalsid' does this match the SID of the domain that the
> machines that were already joined to the domain? Did you actually 'net
> setlocalsid' to match?
>
> from your smb.conf
> passdb ?
> logon path = ?
> security = ?
> domain logons = ?
> domain master = ?
> preferred master = ?
>
> If we took an example of one or two users who had a problem with their
> profiles...what's output of things like
>
> pdbedit -L USER_NAME ?
>
> does the profile path actually work? Is it reachable from a Windows
> system?
>
> privileges on profile server permit access?
>
> otherwise, I would just say that you're having a bad day.

----
I should have pointed out...

logon path =

(that's right - blank) prevents roaming profiles

and perhaps, because I am not very smart and was trying to populate LDAP
with which I was pretty unfamiliar, I had to run through the vampire
process a lot of times before I got everything working the way I wanted
it. My second time doing the vampire thing to LDAP was considerably
easier. Even though the documentation was excellent, the devil is in the
details.

Craig

believed to be clean.