[Samba] Performance issues

Ryan Wright ryanpwright at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:08:33 GMT 2005

List,

I apologize for the "newbie" nature of this post; I am sure there is
an easy answer somewhere, but I've tried all the search terms I can
think up and can't find it.

I have some video archived on a White Box 4 machine. I watch it on a
Windows XP box in the other room by mapping a drive to a Samba share.
Seemingly at random, my video stream will halt due to an inability to
receive data from the server. If I pause for a few seconds and resume,
everything is usually fine. This generally happens only once or twice
per hour, but it's annoying.

The video is not huge. We're talking ~350MB xvid files, 45 minutes
each (compressed network TV shows). The Samba server used to be a
Windows 2000 Server and the same video files worked perfectly from
there. Network is gigabit on the server side, 100mbit on the client
side - though even wireless should be able to stream these files.
Virtually no traffic on the network (just my computers and they mostly
sit idle unless I'm using them).

I saw this problem again last night when copying ~10GB worth of files
from another XP box to the Samba share. The copy stopped a couple of
times, telling me the network path no longer existed, but after
clicking OK I could still browse the share just fine. It's like an
intermittant, very temporary glitch.

Stats:
White Box Linux 4 (kernel 2.6.9-5)
Samba 3.0.10-1.4E