[Samba] nt migration concerns

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Oct 7 16:47:13 GMT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 01:27, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> > 1. what are the catches or gotcha's that i have to anticipate?
> > 2. what approach should i take before i take the leap?
> > 3. do i need ldap for samba pdc?
> > 4. it simpliest terms what does ldap do?
> > 5. just in case can i make our current nt4.0 become bdc?
> > 6. having samba pdc, is it possible to authenticate from nt 4. bdc?
> > 7. any other tips?
>
> I am struggling with this move at the moment Jeisma, but only with 10
> clients!
>
> 1. - The main gotcha I am having is to make the clients think it is the
> same PDC and thus not make a new profile.
>
> 2. - PLAN and TEST -
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NT4Migration.htm

Migration of an NT4 domain to Samba-3 is best described in chapter 9 of the
book, "Samba-3 by Example" - this is available in hard-copy print from
Amazon.Com (ISBN 013188221X) or in PDF from:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

Please contact me if you have any problems with the steps that have been
provided.

Cheers,
John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.