[Samba] User list

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Oct 7 13:32:44 GMT 2005

I have a samba server setup with LDAP.  Before I was using LDAP, I could
get a list of users and groups with my perl script by using the getgrent
and getpwent routines.  I cannot use this anymore, because for some
reason, these routines do not see all of my users.  They only see up to
a certain point.  If I do a 'getent passwd' from the command line, it
only shows up to certain number of users.  The others are there though
and they work fine.

IE:  I created the user 'johnsonz' as one of my last users.  If I do a
'gentent passwd | grep johnsonz', then I do not see this user anywhere
at all, but if I do 'id johnsonz', it shows his information.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?  Everything seems to be
working alright besides this, but I would like to be able to extract a
list of users or groups at certain times.  At this point, I see no way
to do it since there is no /etc/passwd or /etc/group to check.

Thanks

--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.