[Samba] Problem creating root ldap user in SLES9

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Thu Oct 6 03:02:19 GMT 2005

On 10/5/2005 10:44 PM, Robert Prange wrote:

> So, it's failing to execute a pdbedit, because It thinks
> the root user already exists in the LDAP directory,
> however, I happen to know that he doesn't.

YAST usually prevents you from adding uid=0 accounts in order to avoid
collisions. But you seem to have gotten past that.

As to the exact error, SUSE's pam handling seems to pretty badly broken
wrt root. I'm still chasing down a handful of inter-related issues and
trying to corner the exact problem, but it seems that PAM requires a uid=0
account to exist locally for processing to function, and subsequently
ignores all other occurances during the auth processing (root in LDAP is
always ignored, in my case). I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was
happening during creation.