[Samba] Re: Win XPPro not connecting to samba domain (SOLVED)

Sean W nameneeded at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 18:48:41 GMT 2005

Ok, I'll post the solution to this that I found at:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-April/085207.html

When I brought up the samba service the first time it dynamically picked
up 192.168.0.2.  This wasn't a big deal since I was just testing the
configuration in a vmware instance anyway before deploying to the 'real'
  server later (after it all works).

My windows computer wouldn't connect due to another few problems with my
configuration.  I solved those problems but it still wouldn't connect
with the error listed below.

The problem came when our lan dropped temporarily and reset the ip for
the server the samba service is running on (192.168.0.11 now).

When samba starts up it goes out and announces that it's the pdc.  The
windows box, that was still up and running, was announcing that no, it
couldn't be since there was another pdc for that domain running on
192.168.0.2.

This error is pretty clear in the /var/log/samba/log.nmdb file but I
hadn't checked that (I'm new).

Shutting down the windows box, restarting samba, restarting windows made
life wonderful.  Alternatively, selecting another domain name did the same.

Cheers.

Sean W wrote:
> Hi, I should have included that information.
>
> 1. Samba 3.0.10 that comes with Ubuntu 5.04
> 2. Yes to all of the questions in the smb.conf file in that section.
> 3. Yes, Wins is setup on the WindowsXP Pro client.
> 4. Yes, the XP machine can ping the samba server and can map drives to
> shares on it.  The only problem is that it can't join the domain with
> the error indicated below.
>
> For further information, I'm planning on moving to an LDAP backend but
> wanted to have the PDC working by itself first as a trial system, that
> will give me a bit more time to understand the LDAP workings instead of
> just following instructions and kacking when something doesn't work
> (like I'm doing now ;) ).
>
> Thanks for the help.

> Craig White wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 20:29 -0700, Off_Kilter wrote:
>>
>>> Steps to replicate:
>>>
>>> 1. Select 'To rename this computer or join a domain, click Change'
>>> 2. Select 'Domain' and enter the domain name. Click OK
>>> 3. When asked to enter credentials, enter admin user and password.
>>> Click OK
>>>
>>> This error comes up:
>>>
>>> The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "foobar":
>>> The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
>>>
>>> NOTES:
>>> a. If I enter a fake domain in #2 above, it is a different error, it