[Samba] mod_ntlm_winbind on Apache vs. IE6, no POST method

Ed Plese ed at edplese.com
Wed Oct 5 21:54:21 GMT 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 02:34:22PM -0600, Todd Garrison wrote:
> I have setup mod_ntlm_winbind to provide authentication for an Apache
> 1.3.33 webserver running on Fedora Core 3. The authentication works,
> but I have run into a problem when using Internet Explorer.
>
> It seems that the problem might be with Internet Explorer itself, but
> here is what I think is happening - the browser will not submit any
> forms with a POST method on a website protected with NTLM Auth.
>
> Everything seems to work fine when using Firefox/Mozilla, but IE6 has
> a problem. Attached is the text extracted from a packet capture using
> both browsers:

> You can see that IE6 sends content-length: 0 and includes the NTLM
> hash again, whereas Firefox does not.
>
> Is this a bug in mod_ntlm_winbind, IE6, or just a configuration error?

You never specified if you were using HTTP or HTTPS, but if you're using
doing this over HTTPS you may find this link helpful:

http://telanis.cns.ualberta.ca/index.txt

Apparently there's a bug in IE6 that occurs only with POST requests over
HTTPS when using keep-alive which is required for NTLM authentication.

Ed Plese