[Samba] SAMBA/PDC + LDAP HELP please?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Oct 5 03:55:19 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 15:49, Ryan Taylor wrote:
> Hi, I have been trying to work this out on my own now for about a week
> and feel like I am so close..haha. I have samba setup as a PDC and in
> theory authenticating users through openLDAP with the use of
> smbldap-tools by IDEALX. I have checked the windows registry fix, but
> still no luck. When I try to join the domain as root, I get the error:
> "Username could not be found"
>
> Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated as I am at the end of my
> time to get this job done. I don't need encryption and don't mind if
> everything is plain text..(security not issue yet)
>
> I have included all configs i believe are important (minus the comments
> to make them shorter) please let me know if I can provide anything
> else!

Ryan,

I spent a lot of time writing a book that documents how to make Samba-3 do
what users want it to do. The book is called "Samba-3 by Example". It is
available from Amazon.Com and has ISBN 013188221X. Alternatively, you can
download the PDF from:

	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

Chapter 5 comprehensively documents Samba-3 plus OpenLDAP. If the information
does not meet your needs please let me know so I can fix it. I dispise
documentation that is inadequate or ineffective, so any help you can give me
to make this book more useful and more helpful is most welcome.

Cheers,
John T.