[Samba] migrate profile from an old server to a new one - SID and ntuser.dat problem

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Nov 30 17:02:33 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 09:49, christoph empl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my problem is the following:
> i am trying to replace an old SUSE 8.2, Samba 2.2
> domain controller with a SUSE 9.3 system with samba
> 3.0 as PDC.
> Everything works fine, i can join the new domain, i
> replaced the machine and domain sid from the new
> server with the old ones.

I hope you followed the guidance documented in chapter 8 of my book "Samba-3
by Example, second edition". This book is available from Amazon.Com in
printed form, or if you want PDF you can obtain it from:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

> But how can  reuse the profiles from the old machine
> at the new one?
> If i make a simple remote copy, the settings of the
> users are lost, i miss my german keyboard layout and
> so on.

On the old machine:

	cd /var/lib/samba
	rsync -ave ssh profiles newmachine:/var/lib/samba

> I think that this is a problem regarding the sids of
> the users. How can i find out the sids from the old
> machine and how can i replace the new ones with the
> old ones on the new server?

You must preserve the uids and gids - see chapter 8 referred to above.

> I tried to do it with " pdbedit -u username -G oldSID"
> (i retrieved the old SID from the logs, but i don't
> know how to generally get it), but it obviously isn't
> changed, because "pdbedit -Lv username" still shows
> the old SID.

- John T.