[Samba] master browser problems for one workgroup

Pablo Chamorro C. pchamorro at ingeominas.gov.co
Mon Nov 28 21:05:58 GMT 2005

Could somebody please tell me how can I know what computers of one local
network are setuped up as master browsers for a local workgroup?  I mean,
is it possible to use nmblookup or other command for this? what parameters
are needed?

I'm having problems with a workgroup for which smbclient -L server gives
different results every certain time, e.g. from one week to another the
results change, like this:

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         MYGROUP              PC1

and some weeks later:

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         MYGROUP              PC2

(not only two, I have seen four different master browsers) perhaps the PCs
of that workgroup are misconfigured, but I don't have physical access to
them.  I'm thinking to install a master browser with an 'os level' high
enough in order to get rid of the other possible master browsers.  Is it
ok?

thanks,

Pablo Chamorro C.

--
Tel: +57 (2) 7314752/3222/2595 - Fax: +57 (2) 7310514
Carrera 31 #18-07 Parque Infantil - PO Box 1795 - Pasto