[Samba] How to get rid of a server comment?

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 24 00:01:50 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I initially set up my Samba 3.0.20 box with this config option:

  server string = My server

Only then I realised that when I map a network drive under XP, it shows
up like this:

  share on 'My server (Hostname)' (X:)

Where "Hostname" is the name of the machine.  Not wanting "My server"
showing up everywhere I tried to comment out the "server string" option
but that changed the comment to the version of Samba I was using, so
then I set server string to equal nothing.

Only problem is, the comment is back to "My server", even though that's
no longer listed in any config file.  When I restart Samba it comes up
as a master browser with the comment field blank, but after a few
minutes it's gone back to "My server".

Even if I edit/delete /var/cache/samba/browse.dat to get rid of the
string, it's back after a few minutes.

How can I get rid of the comment altogether?!?

Thanks,
Adam.