[Samba] login script - runs just the first time a user logons

initiators at free.fr initiators at free.fr
Wed Nov 23 13:12:46 GMT 2005

Hello

I have a really strange problem with logon scripts.
I'm using a version 3.0.20b .deb found on samba.org on a Debian Sarge,
and a tdbsam backend.

1) I had no "logon script" in the smb.conf file just the per user
setting in the tdbsam. Full path to logon script given in tdbsam (e.g.
\\server\netlogon\logon.bat). I can mount the netlogon share, access
rigths are good, and I can check the file has DOS style CR/LF.
What I tested :
- I change the login script setting in tdbsam (e.g.
\\server\netlogon\logon2.bat)
- I open a session on a PC member of the domain (Windows XP SP2)
- the login script is executed
- I logoff then I logon again
- the login script is not executed and will never be executed again when
I logon
- I change the login script setting in tdbsam (e.g.
\\server\netlogon\logon3.bat)
- the first time I open a session the script is executed
- it's never executed again, unless I change the setting again

2) I tried to set logon script parameter in tdbsam with a relative path
(e.g. logon.bat), never worked as expected.

3) I tried to set a "login script" parameter in smb.conf (with a
relative path from the netlogon share) without removing the "login
script" parameter in tdbsam. Same result a in part 1, only works for the
first logon after a parameter change.

4) I tried to set a "login script" parameter in smb.conf removing the
logon script parameter from tdbsam, never worked.

Same thing with another user user on the same computer, same thing on
another computer.

If I go in /var/log/samba/testpc.log I have lines :
- connect to service netlogon initially as user testuser
- closed connection to service netlogon
I always have these, the login script being executed or not.

Has anyone some suggestions on this one ?

Thanks in advance