[Samba] cannot create entry in directory created by Samba

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 21 22:41:02 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 14:25 -0800, Nikki wrote:
> Using Fedora Core 4, Samba 3.0.14a-2, apache 2.0.54, MySQL 4.14-standard,
> and Tomcat 5.5.9
>
> I am using XP machines to access a file server also running XP. The database
> server however is FC4, so I use Samba to create the file structure, so far
> as linux knows, on the database server. This is so that the the front end
> for the database, java code (JSP's and Servlets) also running on the
> database server, has easy access to all the necessary files. I realize there
> are about 10^9 ways to set this up, but this is the way we chose. The java
> code works fine for directories not set up by Samba. I can write just fine
> to /usr/local/apache2/htdocs. I cannot write to
> /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/$name.
>
> in /etc/fstab I have added two lines:
> //$fileServerName/$name1 /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/$name1 smbfs
> credentials=/home/$userName/credentials 0 0
> //$fileServerName/$name2 /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/$name2 smbfs
> credentials=/home/$userName/credentials 0 0
> (of course, $names are just me substituting for the actual names entered,
> which can't be of any relevance to anyone reading this)
> (oh, and 'credentials')
>
> This does create the file server structure on the linux drive, and I may
> read from it freely, but cannot write anything new to it, except as root,
> which isn't who the java code is running as. At least I don't think it is.
> Now that I think of it, I'm a big load of 'not sure'. Tomcat was installed
> as root, and all the code runs from JSP's, Beans, and Servlets through
> Tomcat.
>
> All I really want is the ability to create a new folder in the Samba created
> directories. The java code returns true or false correctly on blah.exists(),
> but if false, then simply won't write the new file :( Works perfectly in
> ~/htdocs, but not the Samba directories.
>
> in smbpasswd there are three entries:
> bloggins, rbuser(also limited account on file server), sort(account on file
> server with administrative access)
>
> in smbusers:
> root = administrator admin bloggins sort
> rbuser = rbuser
> nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
>
> I am attaching the smb.conf file I am using.
>
> Any help is appreciated,
----
mounts via smbfs / fstab have nothing to do with samba at all.
smbpasswd/smb.conf/smbuser have nothing to do with it either.

man mount
probably has some of the answers you need.

I probably would just install Microsoft's 'Services For Unix' on a setup
like this and do an nfs mount (or mounts)

Craig

believed to be clean.