[Samba] cannot create entry in directory created by Samba

Nikki just.girl.talk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 22:25:44 GMT 2005

Using Fedora Core 4, Samba 3.0.14a-2, apache 2.0.54, MySQL 4.14-standard,
and Tomcat 5.5.9

I am using XP machines to access a file server also running XP. The database
server however is FC4, so I use Samba to create the file structure, so far
as linux knows, on the database server. This is so that the the front end
for the database, java code (JSP's and Servlets) also running on the
database server, has easy access to all the necessary files. I realize there
are about 10^9 ways to set this up, but this is the way we chose. The java
code works fine for directories not set up by Samba. I can write just fine
to /usr/local/apache2/htdocs. I cannot write to
/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/$name.

in /etc/fstab I have added two lines:
//$fileServerName/$name1 /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/$name1 smbfs
credentials=/home/$userName/credentials 0 0
//$fileServerName/$name2 /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/$name2 smbfs
credentials=/home/$userName/credentials 0 0
(of course, $names are just me substituting for the actual names entered,
which can't be of any relevance to anyone reading this)
(oh, and 'credentials')

This does create the file server structure on the linux drive, and I may
read from it freely, but cannot write anything new to it, except as root,
which isn't who the java code is running as. At least I don't think it is.
Now that I think of it, I'm a big load of 'not sure'. Tomcat was installed
as root, and all the code runs from JSP's, Beans, and Servlets through
Tomcat.

All I really want is the ability to create a new folder in the Samba created
directories. The java code returns true or false correctly on blah.exists(),
but if false, then simply won't write the new file :( Works perfectly in
~/htdocs, but not the Samba directories.

in smbpasswd there are three entries:
bloggins, rbuser(also limited account on file server), sort(account on file
server with administrative access)

in smbusers:
root = administrator admin bloggins sort
rbuser = rbuser
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

I am attaching the smb.conf file I am using.

Any help is appreciated,

Nikki
--
1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the centre of the Universe.
500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat.