[Samba] Critical collapse of Samba/LDAP - Help Please

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell jools at oss4all.plus.com
Thu Nov 17 17:13:56 GMT 2005

Hi all,

For the last fortnight I've had a Samba PDC running OpenLDAP 2.3.6 and Samba
3.0.20 running without problem on a 700 user network. Today however, we were
setting up mandatory profiles when the whole thing ground to halt.

I suspect hardware failure and plan to work tonight to restore the network for
the morning. I backed up the LDAP database using Slapcat > backup.ldif and
have set the LDAP server up on a new machine with the ldif loaded which seems
fine so far. What I'd like to know is how do I save the Samba server settings
to avoid having to log all the machines onto the network again.

Shortly after setting the PDC up I backed up /etc/samba, /var/lib/samba
and /var/cache/samba, ran net getlocalsid <domain> and extracted the Domain
SID from the server so I have it stored in a file on a CD-R but is this all I
need to restore to the new Samba box? The original PDC is still running but
not well and Samba won't run on it (nmbd hangs). I plan to run a forensic to
find out what happened but I need to get the whole plot up again first.

Irony is that a BDC and LDAP slave were next on the "things to do list" but at
least I have the files backed up ;)

Cheers all,

Jools