[Samba] XP will no longer download print drivers

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 00:24:48 GMT 2005

> Ran "cupsaddsmb -a -v -U root" on SuSE box.

Did you do this again once you created the new CUPS printer?

> Drivers and ppd file got copied into drivers/WIN40 and drivers/WIN40/0

Are they the right drivers?  This is what my drivers directory looks
like:

$ find /etc/samba/drivers/
/etc/samba/drivers/
/etc/samba/drivers/W32X86
/etc/samba/drivers/W32X86/3
/etc/samba/drivers/W32X86/3/ps5ui.dll
/etc/samba/drivers/W32X86/3/pscript.hlp
/etc/samba/drivers/W32X86/3/pscript.ntf
/etc/samba/drivers/W32X86/3/pscript5.dll

The contents of the drivers/ directory should also be visible if you
run \\Server\print$ from the XP machine.

> If I login as administator and map a drive as the test user, then try
> to add the printer it asks for print drivers.
> Anyone got any ideas?  Have I missed out anything?

It looks like you might be installing the NT drivers instead of the XP
ones, which could explain why XP can't find the drivers - all it sees
are old NT ones it doesn't want to use.

I don't know why it would've worked in the past, but perhaps XP
already had drivers it was using instead.

Cheers,
Adam.