[Samba] Backup Tape

Eduard Witteveen eduard at nergens.org
Wed Nov 16 16:41:31 GMT 2005

Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> Or better yet, in order to avoid carrying drives back and forth,
> copy backup over network to a few physically
> remote backup servers - just in case of asteroid impact, that
> sort of trouble, you know.
We dont have a lot of data, but we use http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/
with http://freshmeat.net/projects/pdumpfs/

Since our data doesnt change very much, we have a backup that cost us 30
GB the first time,.. after this it took 10 GB for 1 month.
(still have to write a clean script that will be triggered when the disk
is almost full)
Advantage with this sollution that you can also browse back in time.

Please notice that we did use WIFI to have a geographical distance!