[Samba] HLP access without SMB

Keith Ferguson kferguson at meditech.com
Wed Nov 16 14:45:11 GMT 2005

Greetings,
I am a technical writer for a medical software company. I'm currently developing the online Help for a new product line using an older version of RoboHelp. We are currently trying to overcome an issue with the HLP Help file format that has to do with Windows SMB. Basically, our new software will operate on machines with SMB turned off. When we turn SMB off, the HLP files do not work. There is also a secondary issue where users connecting to the software in proxy mode (that is, not in the hospital's network, but say as a doctor at an airport) cannot access the Help files.

One possible solution is to have an SMB server with the Help files on it, but then they still do not work in proxy mode. Is Samba something that could help with this type of situation?

Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry for the complexity of my question.

Sincerely,
Keith Ferguson

Keith Ferguson, Senior Technical Writer, 781-774-5513
Medical Information Technology, Inc.
Mailstop: C2S170W, MEDITECH Circle, Westwood, MA  02090