[Samba] Adding Nested Partitions To A Mount Point

Christopher Barry cbarry at silverstorm.com
Wed Nov 16 17:04:45 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 11:23 -0700, Carter Campbell wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible to mount a drive
> (single partition) to a nested directory on an existing Samba mount
> point and have the entire structure considered one drive?
>
> The situation is this.  I have a large drive mounted to a share called
> "/pub".  This has been identified as my Samba mount point and all works
> as it should.  What I would like to do is add a subdirectory to the
> drive mounted to the "/pub" share point and mount an additional drive to
> that. I would like to be able to have this second drive treated as an
> extention of the original disk, under Samba.  This would mean that the
> capacity of the second drive would be pooled with the first drive, on
> which it is mounted.
>
> For example:
> I have a 200GB hard drive mounted to the directory "/pub".  I would like
> to add an additional 60GB drive to this.  Can I create a directory on
> the 200GB drive called "/pub/temp" and mount the 60GB drive to that
> mount point?  Then be able to have Samba consider the whole mess as a
> single 260GB drive?
>
> I have already tried this (with my limited knowledge) and all that seems
> to happen is that the Samba identifed disk capacity size remains at the
> 200GB mark.  The additional 60GB isn't recognized.
>
> Would this be possible, or am I blowing smoke out my lower orifice?  If
> it is possible, how would I do this?  Is there any documentation that
> would explain something like this somewhere?  What would this be called
> if I were to look for it (I haven't the slightest idea how to start
> searching for such a thing)?
>
> Thanks to all in advance.
>
> Carter Campbell
> Calgary Alberta
> Canada

short answer: yes it will work fine.

longer answer: 200GB disk must be mounted before you can mount the 60GB
disk.

samba might mis-report size, but so what?
does df -h show that the combined total is 260GB?

lvm or evms would be a better way, but that would require quite a bit of
work since the disks are already up and have data.

-C