[Samba] connecting from Windows XP x64 Edition

Mirko Thiesen thiesi at NetWorkXXIII.de
Mon Nov 14 17:50:37 GMT 2005

Hi there,

I have a problem connecting from a Windows XP x64 Edition machine
(nettle) to a Samba server (zeus).

When I open an Explorer window and enter "\\zeus\work" in the address
line, I receive an error message: "Widnows cannot find '\\zeus\work'.
Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by
clicking the Start button and then clicking Search."

Okay, Windows wants me to search for zeus, and I will do so. Look, it is
found! But when I click on zeus in the "Search Results - Computers"
window, Windows x64 says: "\\zeus is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
this server to find out if you have access permissions.<CR><CR> The
request is not supported."

Of course I checked with the administrator of zeus and nettle (luckily
that's me) and made sure I am allowed to access the share on zeus. And
of course there is no Firewall or anything the like running on nettle.

But now things become really strange: nettle actually is a dual-boot
system, and when it is running Windows XP (32 bit), it can connect to
zeus' shares instantly. But even when running XP x64, it can connect to
other Samba servers running the same version and other versions of Samba.

The whole issue is driving me nuts ... I double-checked the other
servers' Samba configuration with that of zeus - to no avail.

That's where I am now, so I ask you: Do you know about this problem or
maybe even have a solution? Or perhaps you can at least give me some
advice on how to proceed to further "debug" this issue.

Here's the info about zeus:

zeus# pkg_info | grep samba
samba-3.0.20b,1     A free SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX
zeus# uname -a
FreeBSD zeus 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #2: Thu Apr  7 19:19:51 CEST
2005     root at baghira:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

And that's nettle:

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

One of the other Samba servers that nettle can reach while running x64
looks like this:

ollik:root # pkg_info | grep samba
samba-3.0.11,1      A free SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX
ollik:root # uname -a
FreeBSD ollik 5.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE #2: Fri Feb 25
19:00:04 CET 2005     root at ollikn:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MOD64  amd64

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
thiesi at NetWorkXXIII.de - http://Hausmeister.Maedchenpension.at/
Mirko Thiesen - Soemmeringstrasse 41 - D-10589 Berlin - Germany