[Samba] Path issues in share name

Jay Fenlason fenlason at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 03:05:49 GMT 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 11:55:51AM -0500, Barry Johnson wrote:
> I did check the permissions of the directory and everything looks good.
>
> [root at leatherneck home]# ls -l
> total 413528
> drwxr-xr-x   2 baj      baj           4096 Nov 12 10:35 baj
> drwxrwxrwx   4 root     root          4096 Nov 12 11:35 samba
>
> It also isn't mounting my home dir on the windows xp machine, same error
> as before with the obvious changes in the error message, and those
> permissions look good too.  I'll mention that I didn't make any changes
> to the home dir section of the config file.
>
> I did a ps of the smb process and it still looks like it runs as root,
> does it spawn children that run as some other user that could be causing
> this problem???

You probably have SELinux enabled, and didn't adjust the Samba policy
to allow access to that directory.  The easy workaround is to disable
SELinux or put it in permissive mode.  The correct solution is to
change the policy and/or the security context for /home/samba.  Please
submit a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com against the
selinux-policy-targeted component.

Unfortunatly, it's impossible to create a SELinux policy for Samba
that will work for all configurations out of the box, because the
configuration for Samba is so site-specific.

			-- JF