[Samba] Homes on different server...

Olivier Houde ohoude at drummonddesigns.com
Fri Nov 11 14:35:25 GMT 2005

Jonas Jochum wrote:

>Am Friday 11 November 2005 15:15 schrieb Olivier Houde:
>

>>Hi list
>>is there any way to specify on wich server a user's home is ?   Let me
>>explain myself...   I have a Samba3 PDC here at the head office using
>>LDAP as an authentication backend. We have offices in other cities and
>>we would like them to be on the same domain. All those offices are
>>linked using VPNs. I have no problem to configure LDAP and Samba to work
>>together. The problem is that i want all those offices to be completely
>>independant in case the VPN link goes down. For that, i need to split
>>all my user's home between the BDCs and the PDC (depending in wich
>>office the user is working), if want the users to still have an access
>>to their home and profiles. I have an LDAP master here and a LDAP slave
>>in each office. How can i tell samba that depending on the user, its
>>home is on a different server ?  Can i use LDAP for that ?  If it's
>>possible, how can i do that ?  Should i use an other solution ?  Trusted
>>domain instead ?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Olivier Houde
>>

>Have a look at the LDAP attributes sambaHomePath and sambaProfilePath.
>
>Regards,
> Jonas Jochum

I did, but they are linked to the LDAP attribute : Home Directory   That
attribute leads directly to the location of the home directory on the
server. In my case, i wrote \\servername\ohoude as Samba home path and
\\servername\ohoude\.msprofile in samba profile path. It works because
my home directory is on the LDAP master at /home/ohoude.  But what if i
need to have my home directory on another server than the master ldap ?

thank
Olivier Houde