[Samba] Re: w32time and Samba PDC Domains

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Nov 10 04:38:40 GMT 2005

So close to working that this is annoying. Upon looking into the Windows DHCP client, one can request specific DHCP options be mapped to specific places in the registry, so I cooked up the following:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp\Parameters\Options\4]
"RegLocation"="SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\W32Time\\Parameters\\NtpServer"
"KeyType"=dword:00000001

Reboot and NADDA. Made the NtpServer string and left it empty, still nadda.

Looks like this is getting to be more of a dhcp Q than Samba... but while here anyone actually successfully fetch the ntp server name out of a DHCP server with a Windows client successfully? Everyone,
including the Samba docs suggest setting the option on the server, but I am yet to see an example of using that field on a Windows client.

Enough for a night... I don't love MS this much to stay up more! Besides, just logon with too much permission and happen to leave

NET TIME %LOGONSERVER% /SET /Y

in your logon script, right?! ;-)

--
Michael Lueck