[Samba] w32time and Samba PDC Domains

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Nov 10 03:33:13 GMT 2005

I see that the w32time service as it is configured when a Win2K Pro client joins a Samba PDC Domain is not configured in such a way that the service is able to successfully sync time with Samba.

I:\>w32tm -source -v
W32Time: BEGIN:InitAdjIncr
W32Time:    Adj 100144 , Incr 100144  fAdjust 0
W32Time: END:Line 2503
W32Time: BEGIN:TsUpTheThread
W32Time: END  Line 1407
W32Time: TimeMMInit()
W32Time: Kernel timer : using default maximum resolution
W32Time:                MaximumTime = 100144
W32Time:                CurrentTime = 100144
W32Time: Timer calibrated, looped 1 times
W32Time: BEGIN:InitTmCfg
W32Time: END:Line 807
W32Time: BEGIN:InitTmCli
W32Time: END:Line 2596
W32Time: BEGIN:InitTmData
W32Time: END:Line 2618
W32Time: AvoidTimeSyncOnWan 0
W32Time: BEGIN:CMOSSynchSet
W32Time:    Setting adjustment 100144 - Bool  0
W32Time:    BEGIN:SetTSTimeRes
W32Time:    END:Line 1295
W32Time: END:Line 864
W32Time: BEGIN:InitializeDC
W32Time:    BEGIN:GetRole
W32Time:       Role is 'workstation'
W32Time:    END  Line 672
W32Time: END:Line 704
W32Time: BEGIN:FDoNT5DSType
W32Time:    BEGIN:FBuildDCList
W32Time:       BEGIN:GetNT5DCAddress
W32Time:          Member of an NT4 domain. Cannot synchronize.
W32Time:       END  Line 196
W32Time:       BEGIN:GetNT5DCAddress
W32Time:          Member of an NT4 domain. Cannot synchronize.
W32Time:       END  Line 196
W32Time:    END  Line 639
W32Time:    DC lookup failed. 15 min until lookup is allowed again.
W32Time: END  Line 971

Is there a configuration which will keep the w32time NTP server field populated with what DHCP offers as an NTP server? I do have "option ntp-servers #.#.#.#;" in the DHCP configuration, so with
getting that plugged in to the w32time service parameters, then I would just need to flip the server type configuration to NTP.

TIA!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems