[Samba] Weird problems with printing

Michael Keightley Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com
Wed Nov 9 20:31:07 GMT 2005

Just swapped our Solaris SAMBA PDC for a SuSE Linux machine.  It's the domain
controller as well as print server (via CUPS).  It's running SuSE 9.3 with
Samba-3.0.20b.
The setup is identical to the old Solaris machine, had to re-add all machines
to the domain.  Has been working OK for 2 days then suddenly some people
couldn't print and I can no longer add printers to any XP machine.
Nothing has changed in the last couple of days (though obviously something has).

When I try to add a printer now as a non-admin user I now get this error:

"You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect the selected printer"

When I add as a (domain) admin it asks for a print driver.  Previously printers
were being added with no problem.
Anyone got any ideas?   Am a bit desperate.

Below is my smb.conf file:

[global]
  workgroup = BOSTON
  server string = %h
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  load printers = yes
  printing = cups
  printcap name = cups
  domain master = yes
  domain logons = yes
  local master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
  wins support = yes
  os level = 65
  encrypt passwords = yes
  security = user
  logon script = netlogon.bat
  logon path = \\%N\profile\%a\%u
  logon drive = q:
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

[profile]
  comment = User Profiles
  path = /home/samba_shark/profile
  browseable = no
  guest ok = yes
  writeable = yes

[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /home/samba_shark/var/spool/public
  browseable = no
  public = yes
  guest ok = yes
  writable = no
  printable = yes

[print$]
  comment = Printer Drivers
  path = /home/samba_shark/drivers
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  read only = yes
  write list = root

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = no
  writable = yes

[netlogon]
  comment = Network Logon Service
  path = /home/samba_shark/%a/netlogon
  guest ok = yes
  writeable = no
  share modes = no

This is what is in my drivers dir:

.
./WIN40
./WIN40/0
./WIN40/0/ljbos1.PPD
./WIN40/0/ljbos2.PPD
./WIN40/0/ljbos3.PPD
./WIN40/0/ADOBEPS4.DRV
./WIN40/0/ADOBEPS4.HLP
./WIN40/0/topdf.PPD
./WIN40/0/PSMON.DLL
./WIN40/0/ICONLIB.DLL
./WIN40/0/lj162.PPD
./WIN40/0/lj163.PPD
./WIN40/0/ricoh.PPD
./WIN40/0/ADFONTS.MFM
./WIN40/ljbos1.PPD
./WIN40/ljbos2.PPD
./WIN40/ljbos3.PPD
./WIN40/ADOBEPS4.DRV
./WIN40/ADOBEPS4.HLP
./WIN40/topdf.PPD
./WIN40/PSMON.DLL
./WIN40/ICONLIB.DLL
./WIN40/lj162.PPD
./WIN40/lj163.PPD
./WIN40/ricoh.PPD
./WIN40/ADFONTS.MFM
./W32X86
./W32X86/2
--
Michael Keightley <Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com>    Tel: +44 131 220 4491
Systems Manager,  Quadstone Limited,                   Fax: +44 131 220 4492