[Samba] Roaming Profiles - the next step

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Tue Nov 8 15:48:57 GMT 2005

Simon Faulkner schrieb:

> Thanks to the enthuiastic help of Mr. Dan Shearer and the excellent
> writings of John H. Terpstra (Samba-3 by Example) I have migrated an
> NT4 PDC to Samba 3.0.14a-2 on Fedora Core 4 (Cries of amazement)
>
> The clients (XP, NT4WS, Win2K, 98 and 95) didn't notice the switch
> (once I had made all the correct folders!)
>
> My questions now are fine tuning and filling in gaps in my Windows
> knowledge.
>
> Roaming Profiles - seems like a great idea.  Login on any PC and get
> all your settings etc.
>
> So why have a "local settings" folder in your profile that doesn't
> move?   This means that your email won't travel and your .pst gets
> shredded/copied/mangled.
>
> I guess it's because a .pst can end up at 2 Gb and would kill logins?
>
> So,  if I switch to Thunderbird and use IMAP can I get a fully roaming
> profile?
>
> Simon

Hi Simon,
youre not right ,the pst file can be hosted where ever you want, theres
no need to have it in the profile
you can control the behavior of outlook and its default pst file ( means
default place for the default pst file for a new user )
by a group policy or simple with outlook itself by hand.
A good place  for a pst  is the a folder on the users home on the samba
server.
But notice dont use vfs antivirus with pst files cause it will be very
slow, after all opening a 2G pst over the network will get slow in any case.
Notice that pst primer outlook 2003 will get corrupt if the get bigger
then 1.5 GB.
After  all switch to imap  and thunderbird is  a good  idea  in any
case, but mostly fails with outlook junkies
Best Regards