[Samba] Roaming Profiles - the next step

Simon Faulkner simon at titanic.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 15:36:53 GMT 2005

Thanks to the enthuiastic help of Mr. Dan Shearer and the excellent
writings of John H. Terpstra (Samba-3 by Example) I have migrated an NT4
PDC to Samba 3.0.14a-2 on Fedora Core 4 (Cries of amazement)

The clients (XP, NT4WS, Win2K, 98 and 95) didn't notice the switch (once
I had made all the correct folders!)

My questions now are fine tuning and filling in gaps in my Windows
knowledge.

Roaming Profiles - seems like a great idea.  Login on any PC and get all
your settings etc.

So why have a "local settings" folder in your profile that doesn't move?
   This means that your email won't travel and your .pst gets
shredded/copied/mangled.

I guess it's because a .pst can end up at 2 Gb and would kill logins?

So,  if I switch to Thunderbird and use IMAP can I get a fully roaming
profile?

Simon