[Samba] Configuring smbfs and general samba confusion

John Schwartzman John at ForteSystem.com
Tue Nov 8 05:02:15 GMT 2005

My SuSE Linux 10.0 box is set up as a Samba server with WINS support.
When I try to to enable smbfs using YaST System Services (Runlevel), the
response is:
/etc/init.d/smbfs start returned 6 (program is not configured)

Mount SMB/CIFS File Systems ..unused
nmb and smb are both being started.  How do I configure smbfs?

When browsing SMB shares, I can see my workgroup and under that my Linux
box.  (My Windows boxes are missing.)  It doesn't matter whether the
firewall is on or off.

Another curious feature is that typing smb://Wombat/ gives an error, but
smb://wombat/Temp works fine (//Wombat/Temp is a windows share).

Winbind is not included in my SuSE installation.  Do I need it?

>From the Windows side,  My Linux box doesn't show up in my Windows
network, but I can access my Samba shares by setting them up as network
places.

Can anyone help?  /etc/samba/smb.conf is shown below.

Many thanks!

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/11/04 13:37:02

[global]
	display charset = UTF-8
	workgroup = FORTE
	netbios aliases = Intrepid
	netbios scope = FORTE
	server string = Samba 3.0
	client schannel = No
	server schannel = No
	map to guest = Bad User
	root directory = /
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	log level = 1
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.samba
	paranoid server security = no
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
	hostname lookups = yes
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
	logon drive = P:W
	logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
	lm announce = No
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	ldap ssl = No
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	cups options = raw
	case sensitive = auto
	strict locking = No
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65
	restrict anonymous = no
	max protocol = NT
	server signing = Auto
	idmap gid = 10000-20000
	idmap uid = 10000-20000
	local master = YesT
	netbios name = Intrepid
	security = user

[include]
	comment = Linux C/C++ include directories
	path = /usr/include/

[development]
	comment = Linux Development Directory - js
	path = /home/js/Development/
	read only = No
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777