[Samba] Linux Primary Domain Controller Authentication

Cynthia Jeness CJeness at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 5 10:24:39 GMT 2005

I have setup my Linux server as a Primary Domain Controller using Samba
3.   All other computers on the network run various versions of Windows
from 95 to XP.   All computers are able to join my Samba domain and the
user computers can log onto the network.   However, if they try to
access a file resource on one of the Windows 2003 file servers, the
authentication fails with System Error 1789.   The Windows 2003 file
server did successfully join my domain.    I am not running Winbindd
primarily because it was not part of the Samba packaging provided by
Suse.   Is it necessary to run Winbindd in order to have the Windows
2003 servers validate?

Cynthia Jeness