[Samba] suse 9.3 / samba

Roger Searle woja at paradise.net.nz
Thu Nov 3 18:18:45 GMT 2005

I installed suse 9.3 recently after successfully running 9.1 for some
time and being able to serve up files to windows computers on my home
network.  Since the new install, I can no longer edit and save word
files shared by samba on the linux machine from a windows machine, while
other file types are OK (html, jpg, txt).

I can create a new word file, but they can't be subsequently edited and
saved.  The creation of the file must be via right clicking and choosing
"new" in windows explorer, I can not save the file from within word.

The error messages I get on the windows machine is:
Initially:  "The save failed due to out of memory or disk space".
Trying "Save as" results in: "the disk is full or too many files are open".

I also note that initially I had a similar situation with Excel files -
modified files could not be saved either - for an unknown reason Excel
files can now be edited and saved.  The only changes on either machines
have been via Microsoft Update or YAST Online Update.  Any assistance
with this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Roger