[Samba] setting file permissions

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:02:16 GMT 2005

On 11/3/05, Gary MacKay <gary at edisoninfo.com> wrote:
> I have a very upset client and I can not find an answer. How do I set
> the read-only flag using the Windows Explorer?

The simplest fix is to add "store dos attributes = yes" to your
smb.conf file.  You'll need to mount your server's drives with the
user_xattr option, if they aren't mounted as such automatically.

If you don't use store dos attributes, then Samba 3.0.20 sets the
read-only flag based on whether or not the user has read permissions.
So editing ACLs or changing the owner or group would probably be the
only way to set read-only.

Josh Kelley