[Samba] MS Access macro's running very slowly

Gibbs, Simon Simon.Gibbs at informa.com
Wed Nov 2 13:18:35 GMT 2005

Hi,

I¹ve recently migrated to a Samba3 server and everything seems to be running
well apart from a problem with some users that run macros in MS Access.
I¹m told that a process which used to take 15min on the old W2K server took
over an hour on the new samba box.

After having a scan through the archives I think the problem may be related
to oplocks/locking but I¹m pretty sure I¹ve got these setup OK.
Checking usage through top and vmstat shows that the server isn¹t overloaded
so I guess there may be a problem in my config somewhere.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks

The box is running RHEL4, kernel version 2.6.9-11.ELsmp and
samba-3.0.10-1.4E.

smb.conf is as follows:

[global]
# General Settings
netbios name = UKFS01
server string = UKFS01 Samba Server
template homedir = /mnt/emcpowerb/user/%D/%U
# template shell = /bin/bash
admin users = "@Domain Admins"
# Active Directory/Winbind Settings
workgroup = xxxxxx
winbind separator = /
password server = xxxx
security = ADS
realm = xxxxxx
winbind use default domain = yes

# Winbind LDAP/IDMAP Settings
ldap ssl = no
idmap uid = 10000-10000000
idmap gid = 10000-10000000
ldap admin dn = cn=xxxx,dc=xx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
ldap suffix = dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx,dc=xxxx
idmap backend = ldap:ldap://x.x.x.x
# winbind enum users = yes
# winbind enum groups = yes

# Network Configuration
;socket address =
;bind interfaces =
;bind interfaces only =
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

# Tuning parameters
#encrypt passwords = yes
browseable = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
hide dot files = yes
case sensitive = no
preserve case = yes
acl compatibility = auto
write cache size = 262144 # for a 256k cache size per file
max xmit = 65535
dead time = 15
getwd cache = yes
large readwrite = yes
inherit acls = yes
inherit permissions = yes
nt acl support = yes
map acl inherit = yes
map archive = yes
security mask = 0777
enhanced browsing = yes
client use spnego = yes
use spnego = yes
defer sharing violations = true
fake oplocks = no
kernel oplocks = yes
level2 oplocks = yes
oplock break wait time = 0
oplock contention limit = 2
oplocks = yes
veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB/*.ldb/*.LDB/
posix locking = yes
blocking locks = yes
lock spin count = 30

# Logging Information
#log level = 10 ads:10 auth:10 sam:10 rpc:10 idmap:10
log level = 1
syslog = 1
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 50

==============================

[LMIUData]
comment = LMIU Data Share
path = /mnt/emcpowera/data/LMIUData
public = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
nt acl support = true
force unknown acl user = yes
admin users = "@Domain Admins"

The information contained in this email message may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of viruses, no responsibility is accepted by T&F Informa for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof.  Messages to and from the company are monitored for operational reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return and delete the message and any attachments.  Further enquiries/returns can be sent to postmaster at tfinforma.com