[Samba] how to use ntlm_auth

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 2 11:37:41 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 20:58 -0800, Juan Mauel Lopez Villalobos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know how to use ntlm_auth with ntlm-server-1 and freeradius,
> with the users login and password information in ldap

You could setup a Samba DC, and then run winbindd (potentially on the
same host).  But it sounds like you are not looking for Samba at all.

> I have read documentation of ntlm_auth (only found the man page), docs
> and howtos about pptp and squid, i don't found about freeradius, and i'm
> experimenting with the options of ntlm_auth.
>
> I have configured freeradius+ldap+802.1X for a wireless lan, but  i
> can't get it to work because of mschap, and i dont have windows domain.
>
> The ntlm_auth man page said:
> "Server-side helper protocol, intended for use by a RADIUS server or the
> 'winbind' plugin for pppd, for the provision of MSCHAP and MSCHAPv2
> authentication."
>
> Who i can use it with (free)radius only??
>

> The radius.conf said in the mschap module definition:
> "#The module can perform authentication itself, OR
>  # use a Windows Domain Controller.
> How can the module permorm authentication itself???

If you want to auth directly against LDAP, then ntlm_auth isn't
relevent, as it is for authentication against NT4 or AD compatible
domains.  Have a closer look at the freeradius docs, it should be able
to work directly against a plaintext password.

Andrew Bartlett